Citation Appeals - Hearing Procedures
When any person is accused of violating any of The University of Mississippi parking/driving regulations, they have the right to appeal the fines associated with a ticket within 7 days of the offense (regular business days).
(a) Visitors, retirees, vendors, construction, and other staff who are non-benefits eligible are required to appeal in person at the Department of Parking and Transportation main office, Monday thru Friday, 7:30am to 4:30pm, within 7 business days of the date the ticket was issued.
(b) Visitors who are not able to return to campus and appear in person may appeal by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org within 7 business days of the date the ticket was issued. Please include citation and vehicle information along with reasoning for the appeal.
The Student Appeals Board is overseen by the UM Division of Student Affairs.
Students must use the online portal (My Parking Account) system to start the appeal process. A citation must be appealed within 7 business days beginning with the day the citation is issued.
- Login (Affiliated) to “My Parking Account” with your UM web ID and password.
- Navigate to Citations. You should see your citation listed on your account. If you do not see your citation, please email email@example.com.
- Once you’ve navigated to the citation you would like to appeal, you will need to select “Appeal” and follow the instructions.
- There are 2 types of appeals for you to choose from when you are initiating your appeal. Select “Online” if you would like to input your text and/or attachments through the online portal and await the Board’s decision via email. Select “in-person” if you would like to appeal your citation before the Student Appeals Board. As of fall 2020, students who choose “in-person” as their appeal type will also have the option of appearing before the Appeals Board via Zoom . In-person Zoom appeals to be announced at when available.
- If you select “In-person” as the type of appeal, please note the following:
- Once the appeal is submitted online, you will have 10 business days from that date to appear in person before the board (physically or via Zoom), no appointment needed.
- If you would like to physically appear before the Board to discuss your appeal, you may do so on Mondays and Tuesdays from 1PM-4PM in the Student Union, Room 330.
The Student Appeals Board will meet every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (Zoom) from 1PM-4PM in the Student Union, Room 330.
Please note that a $5.00 appeals processing fee will be added to the fine for any citation appeal denied by the Appeals Board. The balance is then transferred to the student’s Bursar account for payment. All decisions made by the Student Appeals Board are final.
Faculty and Staff:
(a) Faculty and staff of the University with parking accounts (My Parking Account Portal) must use the online portal system to start the appeal process. They should log into their account and follow the Appeal Citations links and instructions. If an appeal is not initiated within 7 business days of the date the ticket was issued, the citation will be forwarded for collection by payroll deductions and may no longer be appealed.
(b) Faculty and staff wishing to appeal in person must first use the online appeal process and then will need to contact the Parking and Transportation Department at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a Zoom meeting with the Faculty/Staff Appeals Board.
(c) A $5.00 appeals processing fee is charged to the staff’s account if the appeal is denied by the appeals board.
(d) The findings of the Staff Board of Appeals shall be final.
Moving Violations Issued by the University of Mississippi Police Department:
For "moving violation" citations such as speeding or failing to stop at a stop sign, which are issued by the UPD, in-person appeals may require the presence of the UPD officer issuing the citation. Due to this, in-person appeals are limited to Wednesday's from 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM for students. Faculty and Staff will need to contact the Parking & Transportation Department at email@example.com to arrange a Zoom meeting with the Faculty/Staff Appeals Board. Please complete the description section of the appeal and describe the reasoning for your appeal. Additionally, in the appeal description please make sure to confirm that you wish an in-person appeal so that the board may request the presence of the UPD officer.